AMD Athlon II P340 vs Intel Core i3-370M
The AMD’s Athlon ii P340 and the Intel core i3-370 are both found in the entry level notebooks. The AMD Athlon II P340 vs Intel Core i3-370M is a natural curiousity for a casual notebook user or a potential buyer. We will present a qualitative comparison followed by a quantative benchmark comparison to arrive at the decision as to which one is better and by how much.
Qualitative comparison of the Athlon ii P340 and Core i3-370M
– Both the Athlon ii P340 as well as the core i3-370M are dual core processor.
– The Athlon ii P340 is clocked at 2.2 GHz while the Intel core i3-370M is clocked at 2.40 GHz
– The Core i3-370M has 3M of Cache memory while the Athlon ii P340 comes with 1 MB of L2 Cache.
– Both the processors have Integrated Memory Controller which speeds up the processor to memory communication.
– The Core i3-370M has Integrated Graphics Unit, which is help in design of low cost system that does not need high end graphics.
Given this background, the core i3-370M is obviously a better choice, not only because of higher clock rate but also because of the support for Hyperthreading, larger Cache, Integrated Memory controller. The only question is not if but by how much. Read on …
Quantitative comparison of the Athlon ii P340 and Core i3-370M
The table below shows comparison of the Athlon ii P340 and the Intel core i3-370M for common benchmarks
|Benchmark||Athlon ii P340||Core i3-370M|
|Super Pi 2M (Lower is better)||72 seconds||42 seconds|
|Windows 7 Experience Index – CPU||5.3||6.7|
|3D Mark 06 CPU Score||1750||2570|
Clearly, the core i3-370M comes out to be much faster than the core i3-370M. Your comments are valuable…