How I started learning Java on Eclipse IDE.
– Just when I finished my Hello World program in Java using the NetBeans, I figured out that there is another tool called Eclipse – and IDE intended for Android development. So ..
– I downloaded the Android SDK as told by gurus from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html. It was 32 MB file an took few minutes to download. I had issue with opening the zip file android-sdk_r10-windows.zip so I downloaded exe file.
– I downloaded the Eclipse IDE from http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ ( about 100 MB file). You need to download the Eclipse for Java. But this is not enough. You also need to nstall the Eclipse Plugin (ADT) that adds support for Android projects into Eclipse.
– When trying to unzip the compressed file I encountered the “Cannot Complete the Compresse (zipped) Folders Extraction Wizard. This was true for eclipse-java-helios-SR2-win32.zip as well as the eclipse-java-helios-SR2-win32-x86_64.zip. The 7 zip also failed.
– I deleted t he file and shut down the computer and went to sleep. Next day when I retried the download it worked like a charm, though I did not not do anything different.
– Once I cliked on the eclipse.exe it did not install any program etc. I ran on its own – reminded me of the old DOS days.
– From there writing of Hello World program was easy.
– I will write about the Android stuff in the next article.