How to Export Allegro brd File to DXF File
This is part of the starredreviews how to tech tips.
If you are designing your PCB using a Cadence Allegro PCB Layout tool, your mechanical design engineer may ask you for the dxf file for their analysis. The dxf file is a very widely used format for checking the mechanical files (using Autocad etc).
Here are the steps to Export the Allegro .brd file to dxf file
1. Open the .brd file using Cadence Allegro
2. Click File Export -> then Select dxf
3. In the Layer Conversion File – Give any name.cnv file.
4. In the Dxf Ooutput file – give any name for the file that will generate the dxf file.
5. Under the Layer Conversion File, there is a “Edit Button”, click on that.
6. You will now be presented with “DXF Out Layer Conversion File” Graphics User Interface. You may like to click on the Use Layer Name Generated from Class and Subclass. Select only those layers for which you want to generate the DXF. You may add new layers for a Class / Subclass by clicking on the New DXF Layer.
7. Now here is the most important thing and if you do not do this, you will see an error – “Given layer filename does not exist. You must create One.”. Once you have hit the Edit in the previous step, you must give a name of the DXF Layer, for each layer you selected. If there is no layer, selected, click on the New DXF layer and give it a name on the pop up screen that says “Please Enter a Layer name”.
8. Once complete OK the form and then you should have no problems in exporting the file.