Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 Vs Core i3-370M
That Intel core 2 Duo T7700 and the newer Core i3-370M makes two interesting chips to compare. Both chips are two core parts and both are clocked exactly same – 2.40 GHz. They do not have turbo boost. Let us take a look at some of the architectural comparisons before we move on to start comparing the benchmarking numbers.
– The Core Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 comes with 4 MB of L2 Cache, while the Core i3-370M comes with 3 MB of L3 Cache that intel call smart cache. In smart cache the two cores share the same chache.
– If there is one single biggest architectural difference that needs to be pointed out – then it is the integrated memory controller in the Core i3-370M. In the core i3-370M, the processor connects to the memory directly – there is no chip in between the processor and the memory. With the middleman removed, the communication speed is faster. In case of the core 2 Duo T7700, there is a “middleman” – the northbridge – sitting between the processor and the memory. This increases the time it takes, for the memory transfer to take place.
– The core i3-370M has hyperthreading enabled, So there could be four threads running in parallel. This slightly improves the performance in some cases, especially the multithreading environment that can take advantage of the idle clock cycles in the pipeline.
– The core i3-370M communicates with the peripherals using fast DMI bus, while the core 2 Duo communicated “through” the north bridge. The north bridge, typically, in turn communicates with the “south bridge”, which, eventually communicates with the peripherals.
– The core i3-370M has integrated graphics controller. The Integrated graphics controller, helps design of low cost systems, by not requiring any discrete graphics component. Core 2 Duo does not has any integrated graphics capability
– The core 2 Duo T7700 is built with the older 65 nm lithography. The two processor Core in i3-370M is built with the 32 nm technology, while the integrated graphics and the memory controller is built with 45 nm technology.
This architectural background, however, fails to give to the point answer to the basic question. How fast is core i3-370M as compared to the Core 2 Duo T7700. Let us take a look at some concrete benchmarking numbers.
– The Super Pi 2M score ( time it takes to calculate Pi to 2 Million places) of the core 2 Duo T7700 stands at
52 seconds as compared to 42 seconds by Core i3-370M – a significant improvement.
– The 3D Mark score of Core i3-370M is 2775 as compared to 2040 score of Core 2 Duo T7700.
– The SiSoft Sandra Dhrystone (MIPS) score of the core i3-370M stands at 32400 ads compared to 22150 score of Core 2 Duo T7700
It is clear that core i3-370M makes a quantum jump in the performance as compared to the core 2 processors. Moreover, the core i3-370M reduces the overall cost and simplifies the design of the system, by integrating graphics controller. The board design complexity is reduced by reducing the number of the pin connections between the processor and the chipset in core i3-370M.