Phenom II N830 Vs Core i3-330M comparison
The AMD’s Phenom ii N830 makes an interesting comparison with Intel’s
core i3-380M ( Core i3-330M [ Thanks Benchiebench for pointing the Typo] . Consider some facts.
– The Phenom ii N830 is clocked at 2.1 GHz while Core i3-330M is clocked at 2.13 GHz – roughly the same.
– The Phenom ii N830 is triple core processor, Core i3-330M is dual core.
– Intel Core i3-330M supports hyperthreading that Phenom ii N830 does not.
– Both processors have integrated memory controller this ensures speedier processor to memory communication.
– Both processor are use similar high speed differential bus for communication with chipsets. The Phenom ii N830 uses HyperTransport Bus, while
Core i3-380M [ Again Thanks to Benchiebench for pointing the Typo] uses DMI Bus.
There is one feature difference worth mentioning is the Integrated graphics controller in the Core i3-330M, which Phenom ii N830 does not has. The integrated graphics controller in the core i3-330M is not a high end graphics but it helps reduce the design of the entry level notebooks, by not requiring an additional graphics component.
With this background let us compare some of the benchmarking numbers to see which of these processors is better.
– The Super Pi 2M takes 72 seconds in Phenom ii N830 Vs 50 seconds in Core i3-330M. ( Lower is better indicating Core i3-330M is better than the N830 in single threaded applications)
– The 3D Mark 06 CPU score for AMD’s N830 stands at 2400 Vs 2210 score of Core i3-330M – making them roughly equal.
– The Windows 7 Experience index stands about the same at 6.2 for both the processors.
– The pa3ssmark score of the Phenom ii N830 is 1960 Vs 1950 for Core i3-330M
In the Table below we have captured major feature differences and the benchmark results for the two processors.
|Benchmark||Phenom ii N830||Core i3-330M|
|Super Pi 2M ( Lower is better)||72 seconds||50 seconds|
|Windows 7 Experience Index – CPU||6.2||6.2|
|Pass Mark Score||1960||1950|
|3D Mark 06 CPU Score||2400||2210|
|Number of Cores||3||2|
|Processor Frequency||2.1 GHz||2.13 GHz|
From the results it looks like the Phenom ii N830 is similar in performance to the Core i3-330M in cases where multiple cores are used. In single threaded applications, the core i3-330M is leading.
Update : There was some typo where we had written Core i3-380M in place of Core i3-330M. We regret the error and thank Benchiebench for pointing the Typo. The error stands corrected.