Photo Sizes for Indian Passport Vs US Passport
The requirement for the Photo sizes for the Indian Passport is different from a US Passport. The Indian size of the Indian Passports are required to be 3.5 cm x 3.5 Vs the 2 inches x 2 inches for the US Passport. In terms of inches the required size of the Indian Passport photo is 1.38 inches by 1.38 inches which is considerably smaller than the US Passport photo.
Notice that this size requirement is only if you are applying for new passport or renewal of passports withing India. If you are applying for passport withing US, the required size of the passoport is still 2 inch x 2 inch ( or 5.1 cm x 5.1 cm), except possibly for Houston Consulate. You need to check with the respective consulate office in US to check the required size.
If you are travelling in Idia for Indian Passport renewal or need photos for your bank account etc, you probably need the smaller size 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm photo.
Steps for creating a 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm photograph
– Take a photograph of using a camera with white background.Use a white board or a white bed sheet to ensure that the background stays white.
– Transfer the photo on your computer and open it with Microsoft paint . Cut a SQUARE of the photograph such that the size of the cut portion complies with the requirement of the passport photo. Let us say that the size of the cut portion of the photograph is 450×450.
– Copy the photo using Control+A and Control +C.
– Increase the width of the Microsoft Paint to w + w + 0.164xw , where wxw is the size one photo. In our example, increase the width to 450 + 450 + 74 = 974.
– Paste the photo using control C and slide it to the right side of the space.
– Now copy the whole thing using Control A, Control C
– Extend the width to (w + w + 0.164xw) *2 + .164*w. In this case to 974*2 + 74 = 2022
– Paste the copied content and slide it to the right most side.
– Copy the whole content at this stage using control A, Control C
– Extend the width to 2.92*w where wxw is the size of the photo.In our case, it is
– Paste the copied content using control C and slide it to the bottom portion.
– Save the file. You should be able to transfer it to your MMC or SD card and take to your nearest printing shop to print the photographs. Print it on a 6 inch by 4 inch size and you should be able to get 8 photographs of 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm size.