Home > Notebook Reviews > Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5160 Review

Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5160 Review

January 23rd, 2011 Leave a comment Go to comments


Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5160 is yet another notebook in the 15.6 inch L655D series from Toshiba. It is powered by Intel’s core i3-380M, a dual 2.53 GHz processor, that has 3 MB of L3 Cache. The Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5160 comes with 4 GB of RAM and 500 GB of Hard Disk. The Toshiba website lists its price at $649, a reasonable price for the specifications that it offers. Its other notable feature include the HDMI output.

As part of the Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5160 Review, we give you compact features that you can look at, to see what are the key components offered in this notebook.

– Intel core i3-380M processor ( 2.53 GHz, dual core, 3 MB of L3 Cache, no HyperThreading support)
– 15.6 inch LCD display, with 1366 x 768 resolution, graphics engine by ATI Radeon 4250, supports HDMI output
– 4 GB RAM and 500 GB Hard disk
– 2 USB 2.0, and one eSATA /USB combo connector
– Wired and wireless connetivity
– Integrated Webcam
– DVD writer
– Memory Card Reader


If you look at the specifications at a glance, you realize that the notebook has everything that makes up an entry level notebook and you should not have any issue when running most of the programs smoothly. The only area you will find potential drawback is in the high end gaming.

We hope that this review is helpful to you. But if you are interested in reading details about the individual components, here it goes.

Processor

Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5160 is powered by Intel core i3-380M. The core i3-380 a dual core processor, clocked at 3.53 GHz and comes with 3 MB of L3 cache. Its Integrated memory controller and the support for the Hyperthreading makes its a decent performing processor. The core i3-380M, however, does not support Turbo boost feature, that increases the performance by increasing the clock frequency for a short duration.

RAM and Hard Disk

Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5160 comes with 4 GB of DDR3 RAM and 500 GB of hard disk.

Display

The Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5160 comes with 15.6 inch screen ( the L655D has 15.6″ screen) that comes with a resolution of 1366 x 768. It is driven by the ATI Radeon 4250 graphics engine. If you are a common notebook user, who does not play high end games ( 90% of the users fall in this category), you should be perfectly fine with the display quality. For the rest 10% who need to play high end games, you may like to know that ATI Radeon 4250 supports DirectX 10 and you will have to keep the setting in low or medium in games like WOW and NBA 2K10. The Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5160 also comes with HDMI connector that you can use to display the contents on an HDTV or a projector, that supports HDMI input.

Other Features

You will find Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5160 equipped with other features that most notebooks today come with. It has webcam that you can use for video chat. The two USB 2.0 connectors can be used to hook any USB device. The eSATA port is useful for any external hard drive that can be hooked to this notebook.

Bottom Line

The Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5160 is priced at $649 according to the MSRP. This is a price commensurate to its performance. If you are looking for a lower cost, you may like to check the AMD’s Athlon ii P340 and the Intel’s Pentium P6200 based processor.

Categories: Notebook Reviews Tags:
  1. No comments yet.